Reviewing before-and-after photographs is a great way to get a feel for a surgeon’s skills and sense of aesthetics about a specific cosmetic procedure. Although these photos are abundant online, reviewing them in person at the surgeon’s office is more desirable because of these three reasons:
- The majority of patients do not allow their before-and-after images to be posted online, but usually allow them to be reviewed in person at the surgeon’s office.
- You can pick out images of patients who have the same age, gender, body type, and cosmetic concerns as you.
- You can directly ask questions to your surgeon immediately after you review the photographs.
What to look for in the photographs
Not all before-and-after photographs are created equal. Here are the crucial things to consider when reviewing images to help you find an experienced surgeon who is not only skilled but also pays meticulous attention to detail.
- Ask for photographs of previous patients who are the same age, gender, ethnicity, body type, and build as you. By doing so, you will be able to visualize how you will look after surgery.
- Check for symmetry, not perfection, in the after photos. Expecting perfection following plastic surgery is impossible. Instead, it pays to check for balance in both breasts, arms, eyes, cheeks, or hips.
- Look for consistency in the pose and lighting of the photographs. The presence of inconsistencies is an indicator that the surgeon has something to hide or is not fully confident in his or her skills.
- Examine the after photographs for scars. There is no such thing as a scar-free cosmetic procedure but a good plastic surgeon can make a scar appear as inconspicuous as possible.
- Go with your gut. Ask yourself if you generally like how the after photograph looks.
If you would like to view our before-and-after photographs, call us at 508.334.5990 or fill out this contact form to schedule an appointment!