Often when looking at an older person, it appears almost as if their skin is a size too big. The problem is volume loss along with skin that has lost much of its elasticity as time has passed.
Volume loss is mainly a factor of decreasing collagen. Collagen is a protein that is responsible for providing the skin’s structure. For some reason, the body sees fit to produce one additional percentage point less collagen every year after we have our 20th birthday. Over the course of 30 years, that means our bodies are producing basically one third less collagen. This shows itself in hollow cheeks, sagging areas around the mouth, thinning lips, and other volume-loss issues.
People think of wrinkles as the signs of aging, but volume loss is more telling.
When it comes to replacing volume on facial wrinkles, there are two big names — Juvéderm® and Restylane®. Restylane® was the original dermal filler, first approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. in 2006. Since then, the line has continued to expand, with different products intended for different areas of the face.
At UMass Memorial we offer the entire Restylane® line at our locations in Worcester and Cape Cod. Here’s more information about the various options.
Here are the various Restylane® fillers
The Restylane® has continued to expand, with different products targeted to different specific issues with facial volume.
· Restylane® — This was the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler and is still very popular across the globe. It targets marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last from 6-9 months.
· Restylane-L® — Restylane-L is basically Restylane® with Lidocaine added for comfort.
· Restylane® Silk — Restylane® Silk is an alternative to Juvéderm Volbella. It is used for subtle lip enhancement and for the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
· Restylane® Lyft — Restylane® Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. It is an alternative to Juvéderm® Voluma. Results last from one year to 18 months.
· Restylane® Refyne —Restylane® Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This relatively recent addition to the Restylane® line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct smile (marionette) lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane® Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions — for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
· Restylane® Defyne
Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
Interested in pumping up the volume on areas of your face as we head into the fall? Call us at UMass Memorial, (508) 334-5990, and schedule a Restylane session at our Worcester or Cape Cod locations.
Comments are closed.