You may be spending many hours at the gym and lots of cash on expensive creams for your face. But if you are neglecting your hands, try as you might to appear youthful, it’s quite possible your hands are betraying you.
Your hands are susceptible to the first signs of aging and often age faster than your face. Why? Because the skin on the back of your hands is much thinner than that on your face. There is little fat on the back of the hands so when elastin and collagen break down, it is very noticeable on your hands.
The end result is crepe-like, wrinkly skin with bulging veins…which also grow larger over time. Depending on how much exposure to the sun you had as a child, aging results in “liver spots,” freckle-like, sun-caused pigmentations.
Hand Care Tips:
- Be generous with sunscreen – use it on your hands! UV exposure is the #1 cause of age spots and the premature appearance of wrinkles.
- Don’t skimp on hand cream. While your hands may not reveal signs of aging until you’re in your 30s or 40s, using hand moisturizers as early as your 20s is a great anti-aging strategy. If your skin is sensitive, avoid products which are harsh, as they can make your hands dry and flaky.
- Wear rubber-gloves if your hands are exposed to harsh cleaning products or chemicals.
- Consider a hand rejuvenation procedure at The Cosmetic Surgery Center.
- The #1 professional hand-care treatment is medical fillers. When used on the hands, fillers add volume and put back some of the cushion under the skin that has been lost.
- At The Cosmetic Surgery Center we use Radiesse and Restylane, both FDA approved injectables. The treatment is performed in our office, takes less than 20 minutes, and results are visible in a couple of weeks.
Want to know more? Call for a consultation with Dr. Dunn, today.
We look forward to helping you have a more youthful look every day of your life!
No comments yet.