The midsection is a common problem area for men and women. For some, it seems that no amount of dieting and exercising tones and tightens the abs. A tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgery that helps contour the abdominal area, but is the procedure your best option?
What is a Tummy Tuck?
The abdominal area has a complex muscular structure that helps with your posture, gives you a shapely torso and accentuates your waist and hips. You may not be happy with your tummy because you have:
- Loose skin that gives a crepe paper appearance
- A little pouch below your bellybutton
- A soft, round contour of fat that includes the area above and below your bellybutton
- Love handles
- An underdefined waist
Also known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes excess fat and skin from the abdominal area.
Types of Tummy Tucks
Abdominoplasty is not a “one size fits all” type of procedure. Various techniques are used to tailor the surgery to the individual patient.
- Mini tummy tuck: Removes excess skin and fat from the area below the bellybutton
- Full tummy tuck: Eliminates skin and fat above and below the bellybutton, and it requires a new opening for the navel
- Full tummy tuck with muscle tightening: Full tummy tuck that includes tightening of lax (stretched) abdominal muscles with sutures
- Extended tummy tuck: Includes the front abdominal area as well as the love handles
Tummy Tuck Scars
We advise our patients that abdominoplasty does require a significant incision that typically extends from one hip bone to the other along the upper pubic area. For women with scars from C-sections, we may be able to use the existing scar line for the abdominoplasty. A tummy tuck scar does not fade completely, but it is easily hidden by underwear or bikini bottoms.
Are You Interested in Abdominoplasty? Contact UMass Memorial Cosmetic Surgery Center.
To learn more about abdominoplasty, nasal surgery, breast lifts and our other services, contact UMass Memorial Cosmetic Surgery Center today to schedule a consultation with one of our six board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in anti-aging, body contouring, cosmetic facial surgery and reconstructive surgery. We have offices in Worchester and South Dennis, and you can contact our office at (508) 334-5990.
No comments yet.