While some women know for certain they are unhappy with the look of their overly large and sagging breasts, you may be at a stage of uncertainty. There is an easy answer before you decide to proceed with a breast lift. One of our six, experienced UMass board-certified UMass Memorial cosmetic surgeons can guide you through the right decision based on your personal needs.
Why You May Be Annoyed With Your Breasts
The reasons you may be feeling very self-conscious about the appearance of your large and sagging breasts are very personal. Your reason for a lift may be aesthetic – or – your breast may be making you uncomfortable.
- Post-pregnancy sagging
- Post-breastfeeding deflation
- Weight fluctuations
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Skin rashes
- Menstrual discomfort
Because your breasts change as you age and go through childbirth, they naturally lose their firmness and shape due to a loss of skin elasticity. A breast reduction and lift may be the best remedy for these symptoms, while at the same time returning your bosom to its former, youthful appearance.
Breast Lift Procedure Basics
In addition to reducing your breasts to a natural, feminine look, it may also be advisable to reposition the nipples and areola for a new and enhanced look.
- Measurements of the breast and torso will determine the degree of lift required
- A pattern is drawn on the breast to outline the target area of reduction and lift
- The internal breast tissue is then reduced and molded into an acceptable size and shape
- If the nipple is enlarged because of the size of the breast, its size will also be reduced.
- A small implant can be inserted as extra support and shape to the breast
Breast Lift Expectations
There is no such thing as a woman having breasts that are perfect. Make sure you discuss with your doctor what you perceive to be an aesthetically pleasing breast.
Reasonable expectations after a breast lift:
- Shape of breasts
- Balance of breasts
- Proportionality of breasts to chest and shoulders
Our goal is to help you improve your breast symmetry and regain a more youthful, vibrant appearance.
You Can Get Your Breasts Lifted
If you think you’re a candidate for a breast lift, schedule a consultation at UMass Memorial by calling 508-334-5990. Check out our other popular aesthetic treatments, such as liposuction and tummy tuck.