While most people have heard of or have used Botox, many don’t know much about it and how it works.
Here are a few interesting facts about the most popular aesthetic cosmetic procedure in the world:
- The FDA approved Botox for eye spasms in 1989 and in 2002, approved it for creases, frown lines and wrinkles.
- Botox is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria…the very same bacteria that causes the disease botulism.
- Decades ago, scientists found that injecting tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle.
- Why is this important for the face? Because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around the forehead and eyes.
- Wrinkles form because we make repeated muscle contractions when we frown, laugh and squint. When injected into the muscle, Botox blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping the contraction of the targeted muscle. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- The frown area is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a tiny needle. It is surprisingly easy.
- Botox results are not immediate. Unlike fillers, Botox takes about a week to fully relax the muscle. The full results last from four to six months, but many people have found that results last longer.
- The degree of improvement depends on how deep the creases are when you begin treatment, but everyone will see improvement.
- The good news and the bad news: Botox wears off. Most love it and return for repeat injections. If you happen to experience a rare side effect, Botox will wear off and everything will go back to normal.
- Why get Botox? PREVENTION: Botox slows down the creation of creases. FACIAL RELAXATION: Botox eases that ‘angry’ LIFT: Depending on which way certain muscles pull, Botox can give a lift to your eyes and mouth corners helping you look more rested.
Call Dr. Dunn at 508.334.5990 to schedule a consultation to discuss the benefits of Botox for your youthful skin!